burnt cauliflower soup + poms
I crave veggies all winter long.
Our bodies need the nutrients from veggies to build up our immunity during cold months. This burnt veggie soup is basically a pro-tip for how to get tons of veggies in every spoonful, in a sneaky delicious way. I almost want to call this February Soup because it's perfect for this time of flu/cold season.
This soup is versatile and easy to substitute with veggies or toppings on hand. Above all, this is an easy cook-as-you-work recipe that requires minimal prep and can store for a long week of meals! I like to store the soup in one container and have the toppings in lots of little containers for fast and easy meal prep (especially for Tyler, King of easy-meals-only land).
Enjoy eating nature! :)
BURNT CAULIFLOWER SOUP WITH POMEGRANATE AND BROWNED BUTTER
2 heads of cauliflower
1 fennel bulb
2 yellow onions
1/4 C. Olive Oil
Salt + Pepper
2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
4 cups warm water + more as needed
2 inches fresh ginger
Fresh herbs (sprouts, arugula, mixed greens - whatever you have really)
Brown butter pine nuts (guys I put these on everything)
Dollop of Greek yogurt
Dried coconut chips
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare baking sheet with tin foil or reusable liner.
2) Chop cauliflower, leeks, onions, and fennel up into small chunks and toss with olive oil and salt and pepper.
3) Roast until just the ends and corners of the veggies are burnt or starting to get browned (I love them this way because it brings out so much flavor!) Check every few minutes after 40 minutes until they look just burned.
4) Remove veggies from oven, and let cool 10 minutes. Next, combine in blender on purée mode with 2 cup cream (you’ll have to do at least two batches)
5) Pour blended veggies into large (at least 4 quart) sauce pan and add hot water as needed. Add 4-6 cups water and more S and P to taste.
6) Squeeze in one lemon and add grated ginger to taste. Let simmer to combine flavors.
7) Enjoy by serving warm with all the toppings, (or at the very least pomegranate and coconut chips)!